- Design and implementation of sustainable catalytic processes
- Structure-activity relations in heterogeneous catalysis
- Reactor engineering (membrane reactors)
- 2020: U. Menon, M. Rahman, S.J. Khatib*, "A critical literature review of the advances in methane dehydroaromatization over multifunctional metal-promoted zeolite catalysts," Applied Catalysis A: General, 608, 117870.
- 2020: M. Rahman, A. Infantes-Molina, A. Hoffman, S. Bare, K. Emerson, S.J. Khatib*, "Effect of Si/Al ratio of ZSM-5 support on structure and activity of Mo species in methane dehydroaromatization," Fuel, 278, 118290.
- 2020: A. Sridhar, M. Rahman, A. Infantes-Molina, A., B.J. Wylie, C.G. Borcik, S.J. Khatib*, "Bimetallic Mo-Co/ZSM-5 and Mo-Ni/ZSM-5 catalysts for methane dehydroaromatization: a study of the effect of pretreatment and metal loadings on the catalytic behavior," Applied Catalysis A: General, 589, 117247.
- 2019: M. Rahman, A. Infantes-Molina, A. Boubnov, S.R. Bare, E. Stavitski, A. Sridhar, S.J. Khatib*, "Increasing the catalytic stability by optimizing the formation of zeolite-supported Mo carbide species ex situ for methane dehydroaromatization," Journal of Catalysis, 375, 314-328.
- 2019: D. Vovchok, J. Tata, I. Orozco, F. Zhang, R.M. Palomino, W. Xu, L. Harper, S.J. Khatib, J.A. Rodriguez, S.D. Senanayake, "Location and chemical speciation of Cu in ZSM-5 during water-gas shift reaction," Catalysis Today, 323, 216-224.
- 2018: A. Sridhar, M. Rahman, S.J. Khatib*, "Enhancement of Mo/ZSM-5 catalysts in methane aromatization by addition of Fe promoters and by reduction/carburization pretreatment," ChemCatChem, 10 (12), 2571-2583.
- 2018: M. Rahman, A. Sridhar, S.J. Khatib*, "Impact of the presence of Mo carbide species prepared ex situ in Mo/HZSM-5 on the catalytic properties in methane aromatization," Applied Catalysis A: General, 558, 67-80.
Honors and awards
- 2022: Jerry S. Rawls Outstanding Undergraduate Educator Award, 2022 (Texas Tech University-Whitacre College of Engineering)
- 2022: Texas Tech University Teaching Academy Inductee
- 2020: Whitacre Research Award, Texas Tech University-Whitacre College of Engineering
- 2019: National Science Foundation, CAREER Award
- 2021: Apple Polishing award from Texas Tech’s Mortar Board, in recognition for impact on member’s undergraduate education
- 2019: Texas Tech Alumni Association Award
- 2017 and 2019: Texas Tech TLPDC Spotlight Award for creatively enhancing student learning and engagement in the classroom
- 2018: Outstanding Poster Presentation Award at the Catalysis Gordon Conference
- 2018: American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Student Chapter Best Professor Award
- 2018: Mortar Board and Omicron Delta Kappa, Texas Tech University, Faculty Recognition Award
- 2017: George T. and Gladys Abell-Hanger Faculty Award, Tech University-Whitacre College of Engineering
- 2017: American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Student Chapter Best Professor Award
- 2017 and 2016: Department of Energy Visiting Faulty Program
- The American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- Southwest Catalysis Society (SWCS)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- 2007: Ph.D., Institute of Catalysis and Petrochemistry (Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)*)/Autonomous University (UAM).
- 2002: M.S. in chemical engineering, University of Malaga, Spain.
- 2001: B.S. in chemical engineering, University of Malaga, Spain.